TRANSFORM YOUR PLAY AREA INTO A MOVEMENT-BASED CITY
This large Locomotor City activity packet was inspired by an idea spawned by Georgia physical education teacher, Kelly Brown. Thanks Kelly!!
The Locomotor City PE Activity and Plan is a FUN and ENERGETIC set of city sign visuals that can get your students ENGAGED and MOVING around the gym or playing area! Ideal for your younger-age students, this activity gives learners the opportunity to use a variety of locomotor movements around the room, while following specified movement signs, road/street/highway signs , directional signs, caution/warning signs, and speed limit signs set out throughout the movement area. Students even learn to use traffic lights, round-a-bouts and stop signs. As in any city, residents can stop and take part in various activities and see some cool sights as they move along their routes…they really LOVE that part of the activity!!!
There are over 75 pre-made Locomotor City signs (with the Locomotor City logo on them), and there is also an additional EDITABLE file that gives you the ability to create your own city signs. I have included in a zip file with both a PDF and JPG version for the pre-made signs that you can print from. Some printers do better with one format or the other. You probably won’t be able to use every sign because of space. You can easily look through the signs and sign descriptions and print only what you might use to fit your unique situation, equipment and environment. The editable file is in PowerPoint so you can just fill in the blanks where it says EDIT.
With the complete set, you will also find a detailed Activity (Lesson) Plan with standards, modifications and detailed instructions for use. An optional Locomotor City license visual (in PDF format- 4 to a sheet- 2 color versions) is in the Locomotor City resource as well.
The Locomotor City PE activity is very versatile and can be changed each time you use it to make it a much different experience for your students. It can be simple, elaborate or somewhere in between. The choice is up to you!
WHAT’S IN THE LOCOMOTOR CITY PACKET?
1. INTRODUCTORY PACKET
* Includes the cover, what is in the complete packet, how to use and provides image credit and a copyright statement
2. PRESET LOCOMOTOR CITY SIGNS
* Over 75 pre-set city signs that can be set up and used for students to follow and move to. They include 1. Street and Highway Movement Signs, 2. Activities to do in Town, 3. Speed Limit Signs, 4. Stop and Directional Signs, 5. Traffic Lights, 6. Caution and Warning Signs, and 7. Important Places
3. EDITABLE SIGNS
* Blank signs with fill in the blanks editable text areas. This is a Power Point document
4. ACTIVITY (LESSON) PLAN
* A detailed plan with SHAPE America Standards, outcomes, equipment, set-up, instructions, modifications/adaptations, and essential questions
5. OPTIONAL LOCOMOTOR CITY DRIVER’S LICENSE VISUAL
* 2 color schemes of PRINTABLE Locomotor City licenses are included. This file is in PDF. Just write in the student's name, supervisor's name and date of completion